Friday 16 January 2009

Entry 16: Mining and Deception

Arriving at Todifrauan I decided to try my hand at mining again so I warped to the first Asteroid belt in the system. The belt contain an ore called Hedbergite. I checked the Market, someone was willing to pay over 2500ISK per unit of ore. Figuring that wasn't a bad price I began to mine. I had forgotten how boring it was, not to mention slow.

After a while my cargo hold was full. I had only managed to mine 39units of Ore. before having to dock at the station and start again. This would go a lot quicker if i had 2 basic miners. I then had an idea on how I may be able to get another one. If i was to leave my ship and dock at the other station perhaps my insurance company would give me a new ship? Nothing ventured nothing gained. So I left my ship and docked at the other station in my pod.

Upon docking I received the following message:

2009.01.16 13:48
We from the friendly insurance company Pend Insurance regret the recent loss of your spacecraft. According to the agreement between Pend Insurance and SCC, we hereby grant you a brand new Ibis, fully fitted. Also included is a gratuity gift of Tritanium.


It seems my plan had worked. Claiming my new ship I undocked and warped back to the other station. I docked and removed the Mining Laser from my new ship. I then transferred to my other ship and removed the Gatling gun. I attempted to fit the second Mining Laser and my ships computer informed me of the following:

To bring Basic Miner online requires 70.0 cpu units, but only 26.0 of the 96.0 units that your computer produces are still available.

So much for my great plan. Things are never easy in New Eden.

I managed to make 2 more mining trips before pirates arrived in the system. I moved onto the next belt and came across 3 wrecks. I looted the wrecks finding a new type of mining laser. It seems I had the required skills to use it. So I docked my ship, fitted the new laser and set out again.

The new laser increased my yield from 10 units to 14 units per cycle. A reduction of 40% in time taken to fill my cargo. Further research revealed that I would need at least 500 units of Hedbergite before I could refine the ore into its basic minerals. At 40 units per trip It didn't take a genius to figure out I would be here a while.

After what seemed an eternity of dull mindless work, I successfully mined the 500 units required to refine the ore. If I sold the ore on the market I would receive 128,700 ISK. Or I could refine the ore and make a profit of 84,000 ISK. I could probably make more if was willing to make the jumps to the highest bidders locations but as I was tired and needed to rest I just sold the ORE unrefined.

No comments:

Post a Comment