Monday 5 January 2009

Entry 3: Eve Gate

Beautiful, radiant, so close yet so far. A vibrant pulsating light show that once brought humanoid life to New Eden on show for all to see. So this is the wormhole, or what is left of it, the place of origin. To think that life here once began out there.

My Ibis is currently floating in space with the burning sun of New Eden below me. I have found the cargo container closest to the sun and left my marker as instructed.

My journey here was virtually uneventful. The dangers of Low Sec space never did eventuate other than a brief encounter with one pilot. I had set my Autopilot to transverse all the high sec systems. This left me time to do some research on how things work within New Eden.

My superiors had mentioned to me that I was only allowed to purchase Instruction Manuals and Clones and that everything else had to be accumulated by other means. I had already discovered that I could salvage wrecks finding different types of modules which i could either sell or use. I expect however finding new ships this way, would be difficult. It seems Instruction Manuals or Skill Books as they are generally referred to are used to teach pilots new skills to enable them to fly better ships, use advanced modules, make modifications to ships. In fact it would seem that virtually everything in new Eden requires that you have the appropriate skills before attempting to use them. You simply purchase the skill book which when activated is then learnt on a sub-conscience level. Even while you sleep. The more skills you learn the more Skill points you also gain, which then lead me to Clones.

All Pilots have a clone. This clone sits in what is known as a VAT in a station. From what I have been led to believe. If a pilot's pod is destroyed, just before destruction the computer recognizes the danger and takes a snapshot of the brain of the pilot and instantly sends it to the cloning station where the pilots clone is situated. In essence preserving the life of the Pilot forever. However their are different grades of clones. A basic clone will only retain a certain amount of Skill Points learnt by the pilot. So pilots must upgrade their clones when ever they accumulate a number of Skill Points greater than what the current clone can retain. If they don't they risk losing all skills they have learnt or a portion of them. Obviously the purchasing of clones requires ISK and increases with each grade. I checked my currently skill points compared to my clone and thankfully was safe from this happening, as of this current time.

It was while researching this that I also discovered you could pay a fee to transfer your clone to another station. This bit of news would come in handy. Upon reaching Low Sec space I decided that I would transfer my clone. At least that way if I was to meet my death as I expected to do, I would be able to continue my journey from a station closer than the one I originally set out from. I did this a total of 3 times before running out of ISK. I guess that answered my question of if 17000ISK was a lot of money. The answer being a resounding NO. However I wasn't worried. I had found Low Sec space to be a very lonely place with no danger what so ever. My opinion was about to change though after entering the Access System.

Upon entering Access, like many systems before it I found Access to be empty. This seemed to be the normal way of things in Low Sec Space. I warped to the stargate that would allow me passage into the system Exit. I noticed some wrecks floating about 17km from the stargate. As the system was empty I flew to the closest wreck to empty it of its precious cargo before continuing my journey into Exit, as my funds were low and it was a risk worth taking. It was then that a pilot appeared in system. His name was "wibble ipera". He hadn't come through the Exit Gate so I decided to align my ship to the Angur Gate and warp back to it if he warped to my location. As i was 17 Km from the Exit gate this seemed to be the best option.

Within a few seconds he warped 17 Km from my location. Obviously he was preparing to jump through. I decided to wait and see if he would simply jump through leaving me alone to empty the other wrecks. Keeping a close eye on his range I noticed that the distance between us was getting shorter. He was moving towards me. I warped instantly leaving the wrecks behind never to know what wonderful surprises they may have held for me. I arrived at the Angur Gate and instantly aligned myself back to the Exit Gate. If he followed me I would instantly warp to the gate and jump through.

A few moment later he warped to my location. Instantly I warped out. It was while in warp the following message was broadcast over the local channel.

wibble ipera > :-) Tags kira caldar...your it now

I had no idea what he was talking about. I hadn't been tagged at all and what was this IT I now apparently was. I arrived at the stargate and instantly jumped through. Spotting wibble on my scanners just before the jump finalized. He was most definitely following me.

The jump finalized and I found my self in Exit system. I Aligned myself to the next stargate and warped. The Access stargate activating as i did so. Wibble had followed me through. Maybe he wasn't dangerous I found myself thinking. Maybe TAG was a form of greeting or some sort of mating ritual. If i played along with him perhaps I could learn more of what his intentions were. The following conversation took place.

Kira Caldar > 1st day in and already being felt up
wibble ipera > lol
wibble ipera > you really should not come to Low sec being a day old and NOT expect to get shot

Kira Caldar > Thats what I was told. But hey im here now
wibble ipera > hehe
wibble ipera > damn it sit still so i can shoot you....lol

I had been flying in between the stargate's in the Exit System trying to shake him off or get him so bored he wouldn't follow me through to the next system. His intentions were now obvious. He wanted me dead. Why I don't know, but he certainly was not trying to mate with me.

Kira Caldar > why would you want to
wibble ipera > coz i'm bored
Kira Caldar > You could try self gratification
wibble ipera > am not THAT bored yet

I was at the Gateway stargate and jumped through to the Gateway system. Hoping that I had bored him enough to leave me alone. Instantly I warped to the next gate however once again I noticed the gate activating as I warped out. Wibble had followed me again. However it did seem he had given up.

wibble ipera > well i'm off to my tower...
wibble ipera > fly safe
Kira Caldar > thankyou
Kira Caldar > for not killing me
Kira Caldar > have fun
wibble ipera > thats only coz i could not get a lock before you warped :-)
Kira Caldar > oh well thank you anyway

With that I jumped through to Central Point system and hoped he was true to his word and did not follow. I warped through the remaining systems incident free and arrived in New Eden to the spectacle I described at the start of my report. I now await new orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment